Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Broken...and Contrite Heart?

"You break me down, Lord" Isaiah 66:2"This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word"...the word 'contrite' used here, literally means..."lame or disabled"...one who is aware of the damage brought on by his sin...and his personal inability to stand upright before God.” (Motyer)
Do I 'tremble' at God's Word? Or how about, do I tremble at the thought of standing before Our Perfect and Holy God, and hope to somehow say..."can you please overlook everything I've done, and let me in, cause really down deep, I'm a pretty fantastic person....I mean, why else would you love me?" Nope, what God really wants from us is a poor and a contrite spirit, and to tremble at His word...hmmmm?

No comments:

Post a Comment