Friday, January 28, 2011

A day of Rest?

Exodus 31:15 reads..."For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD." Ever wonder what was the Jewish Sabbath signifying? Even clear back then...God wanted His people to rest in Him. Did they? Even though they did nothing on the Sabbath day...they never did rest in Him! And what about today...what about me today? Do I truly 'Rest' in Him? Oh I have "moments" if you will, glimpses....simply mere fragments of what God ideally has in store for me, has made available to me. You see, even though  Jesus Christ is the fulfillment of the Sabbath day, for Christ is our rest, I make it about me! I feel deep within us, we can't accept "the Rest" God freely offers us....it's too simple, I must work at it...it's about me! And with that attitude, that philosophy if you will, my 'working' becomes bigger in my mind than His work for me. Risks? Burn-out, backsliding, just to name a few...because I can't DO IT! I can never be good enough...no amount of my working can earn me the right...so no matter how hard, or how long, I try, I can't attain it....It's all of Christ...The only thing that can possibly save me is Jesus Christ, and His sacrifice for my sins. And I must rest in that sacrifice; that finished work of Jesus Christ. "O Lord, help me this day, to truly Rest in You"...

No comments:

Post a Comment