Tuesday, January 18, 2011

How do I know?

January 18th...I read this morning in Exodus 3, Moses comes upon the burning bush (the very voice of God) God tells him to take off his sandals, for he is now on Holy ground...God is 'talking' to Moses....for quite some time now...people have longed to 'audibly' hear God's voice, His very direction(s) for their lives...and its even been claimed by many to actually hear His voice, now I'm not saying they have or have not, I know especially over these last two years or better, I too have asked and asked for His directions...to please  please get some direction...and I must confess, the only words "I hear" are "David, don't you trust me?"....hmmm? No rock solid, actual laid-out directions....what's with that?  I need direction...please Lord? Or am I asking to be bailed-out? I know, I've never been one for patience, I even hate the word patience...I never went the road, early on in my life, that so many of my peers seem to have gone (college) and furthered my education, to perhaps have the extra 'training' to fall back on...to have a 'skill'...No! I chose the "road-of-hard-knocks"...to labor...yeah, I've had many jobs...some I really enjoyed, but most?...well, hind-sight being twent-twenty, I often find myself..."wishin' " wishin' I'd done things differently..."do you do that?"
Ah yes, wishin'...it would seem these days especially, my wishin' is even more intensified! As we all know, our economy is probably the worst it has ever been (debateable I know)...but to me, it seems so....jobs aren't there waiting, especially for "the likes of me"...and I find myself, even more critical of my decisions I'd made years and years ago...to wish I could go back and "do things right"....and so I pray another day!
"Does the bush still burn?" Does God still talk to us? I often say, yes the bush still burns...God still talks to us, not so much audibly, but indeed thru His Word, thru His faithfulness, thru His promises, thru His truth...I must cling to these...where I long to be "bailed-out" (I know this), I've got His Word...like Isaiah 55:10-11 As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. This means that God is not just “all talk.” When He talks, His words accomplish His intended purpose. The word of the Lord has power, and it never fails in His intended purpose. Now many might argue, God's Purpose? God's purpose in my life is usually not why I "cry-out" to Him like I do...where I am more often concerned with my circumstance, God is far more concerned with my heart, with my service to Him, my trust in Him, and in His ways, His plans...which He promises are being "done" and will be accomplished...and yet sometimes, not as often as I'd "like" (I confess), but sometimes He even comes thru for me...please hear me, I am blessed...He treats me far better than I deserve...but I also know, I am a very "needy" man.  Sorry if I seem to ramble, I know I've got those tendencies...I asked "how do I know?" If I base my answer to that on how often God answers my every 'whim'...well let's be honest, I couldn't, I must not...I must answer that on the basis of my God, and His Word....and His gift of faith, He has given me..."lean not, on my own understanding"...

No comments:

Post a Comment