Thursday, February 10, 2011

The waiting game

I believe the struggle we have in waiting...is really the old "flesh vs. the spirit" thingy...Galatians 5:17 says: "The old sinful nature loves to do evil, which is just opposite from what the Holy Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are opposite from what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, and your choices are never free from this conflict."  I've often said..."Life is a Battle!" Inside all of us, but especially as Christians...for when we didn't really know any better, we did as we pleased...
Ephesians 2:2-5  "You used to live just like the rest of the world, full of sin, obeying Satan, the mighty prince of the power of the air. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. All of us used to live that way, following the passions and desires of our evil nature. We were born with an evil nature, and we were under God's anger just like everyone else. But God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so very much, that even while we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. (It is only by God's special favor that you have been saved!)  Ah-ha, But God...two of my favorite words...But God!  Even tho I was an enemy of His, He had mercy on me, He loved me so much and wouldn't leave me to die as His enemy...He woke me up, and made my ugliness come alive, become aware....and now....the battle rages on, especially the waiting game. Waiting ain't natural! Waiting goes against my human-ness...we live in this automated (microwave) society...get satisfaction now! You hungry? Let's go thru a drive-up and get a sandwich...boom instant gratification! My flesh and God's Holy spirit 'in me' don't get along at all! Iinside every Christian, there's this battle and the battle is between the flesh and the Spirit. As Paul writes, these are contrary to one another – they don’t get along at all! When the flesh is winning the inside battle, you do not do the things that you wish. You don’t live the way you want to; you live under the flesh instead of under the Spirit. The fact of this battle should wake us up. If you don’t know you are in a battle, you will always lose. Also, the fact of the battle teaches us that effort is required to walk in the Spirit. God doesn’t just knock us over the head with it; we have to seek it, and block out the things that hinder walking in the Spirit.  Ahhhh, seeking Him...that takes time...that takes effort, and so often my timing is not God's timing. "O Lord, Thank You for wanting to teach me to wait on You, Thank You for loving me enough to not leave me where I once was...Keep me this day close to You, to Your will...help my family as well...as they seek Your Face."

No comments:

Post a Comment